We hear people speaking about the “silent” treatment in their relationship. I wonder if you have ever experience the power of silence in creating drama, destabilizing relationship and fostering a culture of fear and distrust. The silent treatment can be a very destructive behavior when it involves personal relationships. It breeds bitterness and anger on both ends. It is a poison, a lethal weapon in breading emotional abuse. From the Book “Crucial Confrontation” we learn that silence is a potent form of violence. So, watch for the manifestation of silence in your relationship and increase dialogue when you see manifestation of it.
Silence episodes include:
- Withdrawing – Pulling our of communication completely; physical, emotional, psychological
- Avoiding – Staying away from unsafe topics or issues
- Masking – understating, sugar coating, sarcasm, selectively showing
Violence episodes include:
- Controlling – coercing others through how we share our views – interrupting, overstating, absolutes
- Labeling – trying to win or have others give in through ridiculing their ideas
- Attacking – making sure others hurt; emotional, physical, psychological
So, what is your story? may be you said so much by not saying anything? what is shaping your relationships? Silence or Violence? Increase diligence and care.